In an ideal world, every one of our patients would walk into our office relaxed, calm, and eager to see the world with nothing but their own two eyes. Unfortunately, what we often see are patients that are nervous, fearful, and anxious about the procedure. And honestly, that’s okay!
It’s perfectly normal to be a little anxious before surgery of any kind. But the trick is to not let your anxiety get too overwhelming that it either a) prevents you from inquiring about LASIK in the first place, or b) affects your LASIK procedure and recovery.
Pre-Surgery Anxiety and Post-Surgery Recovery
Studies have actually shown that patients who consider themselves “very nervous” before their LASIK procedure actually have a slightly harder time recovering from it.
If it’s any consultation, one of the most common things we hear in our office after a procedure is, “That’s it?” OR “Wow, that was nothing!”
How to Reduce Your Pre-Surgery Anxiety
Now that you know how anxiety can affect your recovery, it’s time to manage it! If you’ve got a case of the pre-surgery jitters, we’re here to relay a few things you can do to ease your nerves.
- Get to know the LASIK procedure. Knowing what to expect once you sit down is a great way to relieve your anxiety because there won’t be any surprises.
- Take off of work the day of and the day after your procedure. The procedure itself only takes around 15 minutes. That being said, rushing over to our office from work can cause people to become nervous or flustered. It also gives you time to nap and relax while you recover the next day.
- Do yoga. And no, we’re not talking about eye yoga. This time we mean real yoga. Breathing techniques and yoga can help patients naturally relax the morning of their procedure.
- Understand that it’s not painful. Though it may seem hard to believe, LASIK is in no way painful or even very uncomfortable.
- “Prep” for your procedure. While you don’t have to do anything drastic (like not eat the day before the procedure) there are a few things you should know beforehand so that you arrive at the office informed and ready to go right away!
- Read your surgeon’s testimonials. We get it — you’re putting your sight in the hands of another person, which is no easy feat. Relax and put your full faith in your surgeon by reading his reviews online. In our case, you can read more than 90 5-star reviews for Dr. Wasserman on Facebook!